Various things, mostly for testing wiki formatting.
Draw and Pot Assignment
Prior to the draw, teams are assigned to a number of pots according to their previous performance. Each pot contains eight teams. The contents of the pots vary depending on the Cup type. The draw assigns one team from each pot to each group.
- Typically, all teams to play in an Elite Cup are ranked according to their knockouts performance in the last cup they played.
- Pot 1 contains the top eight finishers from the prior Elite Cup.
- Pot 2 contains the rank 9-16 finishers from the prior Elite Cup.
- Pot 3 contains the top eight finishers from the prior Babby Cup.
- Pot 4 contains the rank 9-16 finishers from the prior Babby Cup.
- If any team that would play in an Elite is disqualified for any reason, the replacement team is chosen from the highest-. Teams shift up in position, with the replacement at the very last place in Pot 4.
- For Babby Cups, teams typically did not reach the knockouts, and barring special exception are sorted by their placement in the previous cup.
- Pot 1 contains the rank 17-24 finishers from the prior Elite Cup.
- Pot 2 contains the rank 25-32 finishers from the prior Elite Cup.
- Pot 3 begins with any teams which were disqualified from the prior Elite Cup (if any), and then is filled out with teams ranked 17 and below from the prior Babby Cup.
- Pot 4 begins with all prior Babby Cup finishers who were not part of Pot 3, any teams which did not advance from the prior Babby Cup Qualifiers (if any), and teams that did not participate in the previous season.
- The combination of qualifier-exempt teams, prior Babby teams, and new teams may result in more than eight teams in Pot 4 as described.
- If Pot 4 would contain 9-15 teams, a number of teams will compete in the Babby Cup Qualifiers in order to reduce the number of competitors. Qualifier-exempt teams do not need to play in the qualifiers, while new teams are required to. Any remaining teams to fill out the qualifier will be taken from the lowest-ranked teams in Pot 4.
- If Pot 4 would contain exactly 16 teams, the lower-ranked half of the teams (with Babby teams before qualifier-exempt teams, and qualifier-exempt teams before new teams) will be placed in Pot 5 and the Babby Cup will be played with 40 teams.
- If Pot 4 would contain more than 16 teams, a number of teams will compete in the Babby Cup Qualifiers, but with eight additional slots open in Pot 5 for winners.
- For Babby Cup Qualifiers, the number of pots depends upon the number of teams attempting to qualify, and whether or not those teams have records.
- We say that a potential qualifier team is unorderable if the team does not have an official record from the prior Babby or Elite Cup. This may occur because it is a new team, a newly-revived team, or a team whose prior Cup record was officially voided. Unlike teams with continuous records, we cannot compare an unorderable team to another team to decide which one is "higher ranked". A team which is not unorderable is orderable.
- The number of excess teams is the greater of either the number of unorderable teams or the number of teams which must be removed in order to have a complete cup. The number of teams in the qualifier is given by the closest multiple of four to twice the number of excess teams. These teams are then divided by random draw into groups of 4.
Whenever the "rank" of a team in a tournament is mentioned, it is assigned according to these rules. In all cases, the primary metric is match points, followed by goal difference and goals for.
- The 1st through 4th-ranked teams are ranked purely by the results of the final and the third-place match.
- Teams eliminated in the quarterfinals are ranked 5th through 8th according to their performance in the quarterfinals. In the event of a tie, round of sixteen performance is considered.
- Teams eliminated in the round of sixteen are ranked 9th through 16th according to their round of sixteen performance. In the event of a tie, group stage performance is considered.
- Teams which fail to advance to the knockouts are ranked 17th to 32nd (or 40th) according to their performance in the group stage. Placement within groups is not considered.